Whether male or female, your hair is an important part of your overall appearance. With all of the available information out there, sometimes it is hard to know where to start when it comes to improving your hair’s condition and health. Read on for some easy ways to make sure that your strands are getting the attention and care they deserve.
1. Add more protein to your diet. Your hair and nails are made up of keratin, which is a type of protein. If your diet is deficient in protein, your body will steer protein away from your hair and over to more critical body areas. Increased protein helps both your hair and nails grow stronger and longer.
2. Keep your anxiety to a minimum each day. Whether it comes from work pressure, student exams, family issues or another source, anxiety and stress burn up your body’s resources faster. Your body also releases excess cortisol, which can cause your hair to go into a shedding phase. This means you will lose much more hair than normal each day. Since hair only grows 1/2 inch per month, it takes a long time to get it back. It is crucial to control your anxiety now so that thinning hair does not become an issue for you later.
3. Give yourself a daily scalp massage. This not only relieves stress, it increases the circulation of blood to your hair follicles and stimulates your scalp’s natural oils. This helps keep your hair looking shiny and strong.
4. Avoid using harsh shampoos or washing your hair too often. When you shampoo, you need to leave some of your hair’s natural oils intact, or your hair will be dry and lackluster. Even if you have a naturally oily scalp, strong shampoos can over-cleanse and cause rebound oiliness. Some people with oily scalps have better luck using just conditioner each day as a hair wash, or washing less often to slow down oil production. People with dry hair can benefit from using a moisture-enhancing shampoo and washing every two to three days.
5. Use hair shampoos that contain a good amount of natural ingredients. These treat your hair better and do not dry it out. Additionally, choose shampoos that address any special needs for your hair, such as a volumizing shampoo for thin hair, or a gentle shampoo for damaged or color-treated hair.
6. Take good care of your scalp. Some people develop dandruff from poor-quality shampoos or an un-balanced diet, and this affects the overall look of their hair. Additionally, dandruff is often a pH-balance issue. Use a vinegar rinse in the shower to re-adjust the pH of your scalp and eliminate dandruff, or use a shampoo specially formulated to control dandruff.
For an overall hair and scalp treatment that can resolve several hair issues at once, heat up a cup of olive oil, massage it into your hair and scalp, then cover your hair with a plastic bag. Let the oil sit in your hair for about 20 minutes, and use a hair dryer on the lowest setting to add some extra heat. Rinse and shampoo, and you will have glossy, well-moisturized and softer hair.
Hair is one of the first things people see when they look at you. Keep your hair looking and feeling healthy and manageable by trying out some of the tips above. Your friends will want to know which salon you have been visiting lately!